The residence was built for Louis de Geer and completed in 1650. De Geer, born in Liege, grew up in Holland and spent most of his working life in Sweden, where he is still honoured as the father of Swedish industry. He died in Amsterdam in 1652.
Designed by a Swedish master mason of German origin, Jürgen Gesewitz, the building was erected in the Dutch classicist style, its façade clearly inspired by that of the Mauritshuis in The Hague, now the National Portrait Gallery.
During construction, De Geer and his family lived in the wing to the the right of the courtyard belonging to his friend and business partner Hubert de Besche, also a Dutchman. The “old building” was supposed to be torn down after completion of the new one, but this never happened.
The gateway on Götgatan dates from 1647 and originally was set into a wall separating the property from the street. The rooms around it were raised in the second half of the eighteenth century. Originally, the elevated garden on the left of the courtyard was twice as large, while an elegant orangerie sat on the site of the present apartment building.
In 1655 the heirs sold the whole complex to Countess Ebba Brahe, widow to Jacob de la Gardie. Their family crests were placed above the gateway, their initials over the main door. Following a colourful history the building came into the hands of the city of Stockholm in 1941. Between 1958 and 1963 a large-scale renovation was undertaken in order to adapt it to the Dutch residence and chancery.